Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Role models

So, you've probably heard about the Bush tapes, with these quality quotes:

"I wouldn't answer the marijuana question. You know why? Because I don't want some little kid doing what I tried," Bush purportedly says on the tape.

He added: "But you got to understand, I want to be president. I want to lead. I want to set -- Do you want your little kid say, 'Hey, Daddy, President Bush tried marijuana, I think I will?"'

At first I was amused. But then... I started thinking about the idea of Bush as a role model (which hadn't really occurred to me before). Consider the implications-- young, impressionable kids are learning that it's okay to pile up debt, lie to get what you want, and push discrimination while pretending to be compassionate and open-minded. Now that's a role model!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home